The breadth of our research helps us address the unique needs of South Texas and the nation’s most pressing cancer concerns.
We are the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated cancer center in Central and South Texas. This recognition of our research excellence places us among a select group of centers across the country. Find out more about the NCI designation.
Clinical trials for children and adults with cancer
Our clinical trials are exploring new methods of preventing, detecting, treating and surviving cancer. We participate in some of the nation’s most respected clinical trial networks.
We are part of groups sponsored by NCI and the NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP). We also partner with industry to develop cutting-edge oncology trials.
These efforts give eligible pediatric and adult patients access to leading care options, often years before they become widely available.
Find out more about:
Our cancer research
Mays Cancer Center physicians and scientists are reducing the impact of cancer in South Texas through focused research programs and components. Our holistic approach also includes sharing expert knowledge with future cancer researchers. Explore our cancer research.
Highlights of these efforts include:
- Basic research that’s yielding impactful discoveries about how cancer develops, grows and spreads in pediatric and adult patients
- Drug development, including novel drugs, novel drug targets and new uses for existing drugs
- Increasing awareness about cancer screening rates to help more people in our community benefit from new care methods
- Outreach efforts to better understand cancer’s effects in our community and provide the rest of the nation with a template for studying and treating cancer in Hispanic patients
- Engagement and training for emerging scientific leaders, from high school students through junior UT Health San Antonio faculty
Expanded access to clinical trials
Our partnership with MD Anderson Cancer Center expands eligible patients’ access to additional clinical trials. Find out more about our partnership with MD Anderson Cancer Center.