Why Choose Mays Cancer Center?
We offer more of the services you need under one roof, including sophisticated cancer tests and innovative treatments. Our expertise, derived from treating a high volume of patients, helps us design a customized treatment plan to keep your care moving forward.
Highlights of our program include:
- Commitment to high-quality care: You receive comphrehensive care from a team of highly skilled doctors. We meet regularly and discuss complex cases. The team reviews test findings and tailors your plan to provide personalized therapies that reflect the latest care practices. Read about our cancer programs.
- National recognition for cancer research: Mays Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated cancer center in Central and South Texas. This recognition is reserved for cancer centers with an established history of pioneering cancer research. It also means you have access to promising new treatments close to home. Learn more about our NCI designation.
- Expertise in many types of cancer: Our cancer specialists have additional training in their areas of specialty, such as breast cancer and blood disorders. Our active role in research means we stay current on the best care practices for rare cancers, including neuroendocrine tumors. Find out more about the cancer types we treat.
- Advanced treatments: We offer treatment options — such as robotic surgery and immunotherapy — that you may be surprised to find in South Texas. And our experts have years of experience delivering them, so you can count on us for effective care. Read more about cancer treatments.
- Focus on quality of life: Your peace of mind matters to us. This is why we offer special services and support to make your life a little easier during treatment. You can get therapies, including advanced pain management, to relieve discomfort and ease side effects. Learn more about supportive care services.
Leading cancer care in San Antonio
Partnering with MD Anderson Cancer Center, one of the top ranked cancer centers in the nation, brings additional expertise to our program. For most cancers, you can expect to receive the same level of care close to home. We use MD Anderson’s proven treatment guidelines and work closely with their specialists whenever necessary.
Get more information about our partnership with MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Cancer research and clinical trials
Our researchers are changing the way doctors across the country detect, treat and prevent cancer. But our primary focus lies in addressing the care needs of people in South Texas. Our research specialties include cancer drug development, meaning you may be among the first in the nation to receive the latest therapies. Find out more about cancer clinical trials and research.
Our cancer programs
Our cancer programs help you get personalized care from start to finish. Teams of cancer experts come together to coordinate and deliver the services that are right for your needs. And we build a trusting relationship with you, allowing us to tailor services to your goals.
Our complete approach includes more of the services you need in one program, including radiation oncology, specialized surgery and chemotherapy from medical oncology specialists. Across all of our programs, you’ll find care that’s tailored to your needs and access to innovative treatments through clinical trials.
We offer cancer programs for:
- Adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer: Specialized care for cancers that affect teens and young adults
- Blood cancer: Blood disorders and liquid tumors, Langerhans cell histiocytosis, lymphoma
- Brain tumors: All types of primary and metastatic cancers and benign tumors
- Breast cancer: Ductal carcinoma in situ, invasive cancer, triple-negative, inflammatory breast cancer
- Cancer of unknown primary: Metastatic cancer, carcinoma, lymphoma, melanoma
- Endocrine cancer: Rare, inherited cancers — adrenal, NETs, parathyroid, pituitary, thyroid
- Gastrointestinal cancer: Colon cancer, liver cancer, stomach cancer
- Genitourinary cancer: All cancers of the urinary tract and male reproductive system
- Gynecologic cancer: Cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer
- Head and neck cancer: Throat, nasopharyngeal, oral, salivary gland cancer
- Lung cancer: Non-small cell lung cancer, small cell lung cancer, mesothelioma
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis: Rare cancer of the peritoneum (membrane around abdominal organs)
- Sarcoma: Connective tissue cancers such as osteosarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma, leiomyosarcoma
- Skin cancer: Melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma