About Scott Johnson, M.D.
Dr. Scott Johnson received his medical degree in 1987 from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine in Albuquerque. He is board certified in surgery, surgical critical care and thoracic surgery. Dr. Johnson joined the faculty at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio in 1995. He’s an associate professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery. His current interests and expertise are performing esophageal surgery and reconstruction, as well as thoracic oncologic surgery. This includes treating patients with esophageal cancers, strictures, failed previous surgery, hiatal hernias, esophageal diverticular disease and achalasia. In addition, he was previously the surgical director of the lung transplant program in San Antonio for over 10 years. He has extensive experience performing complex lung surgery, including tracheal resections and reconstructions, and lung cancer surgery when minimally invasive approaches are not feasible.
Dr. Johnson was also named one of San Antonio’s Top Doctors 2021 and Texas Monthly's Super Doctors 2020.
- Associate Professor, Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Department of CT Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
- American Board of Surgery, Surgical Critical Care
- American Board of Surgery, Thoracic Surgery
- Undergraduate: University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
- Medical School: University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Internship: Los Angeles County University of Southern California Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- General Surgery, Los Angeles County University of Southern California Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- Thoracic Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX
- Esophageal/Critical Care Fellowship: University of Southern California Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
- Locations & Contact
- Research & Publications
- Clinical Trials